From Alex to Walter, 2022 Hurricane Season is Here and Predicted to be Above-Normal by NOAA

2022 hurricane season predictions by NOAA

Once again, Floridians, here we are at the beginning of another hurricane season. For 2022, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has predicted another above-normal season, with 14-21 predicted named storms, 6-10 hurricanes with winds of 74 mph or higher, and of those those hurricanes 3-6 major hurricanes category 3-5. If NOAA’s predictions are correct, this would mark the seventh season in a row with above-average disturbances. Are you a glass-half-full kind of Floridian? The good news: currently NOAA makes these predictions with 70% confidence, which leaves a 30% chance the hurricane season will not be as bad as predicted.

2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Predictions by NOAA (May 2022)

How to Prepare for Hurricane Season

Given we’re at the start of another hurricane season, it’s time to activate proactive measures to safeguard your property and your belongings. Put these tasks on your list, sooner rather than later:

  1. Learn the three ways to track home inventory and get started tracking your interior contents, or update your current list(s).
  2. Review your insurance policy to recall what it covers and what it does not cover, and take our property insurance quiz to see if you’re “in the know.”
  3. Understand your next steps after a hurricane passes through.
  4. Review how long it takes for an insurance claim in Florida to be approved in case you experience property damage.
  5. Know what to expect if you file an insurance claim on your own versus with a public adjuster.


2022 Hurricane Names

The list of names for 2022 Atlantic tropical cyclone names begins with Alex and ends with Walter. What’s in-between? The full list of hurricane names is: Alex, Bonnie, Colin, Danielle, Earl, Fiona, Gaston, Hermine, Ian, Julia, Karl, Lisa, Martin, Nicole, Owen, Paula, Richard, Shary, Tobias, Virginie, and Walter.

2022 Hurricane Season Names

Wondering how hurricanes are named?

According to NOAA on how hurricanes are named, “During the 19th century, hurricane names were inspired by everything from saints to wives to unpopular politicians. In 1978, it was agreed that the National Hurricane Center would use alternating men and women’s names following the practice adopted by Australia’s bureau of Meteorology three years earlier in 1975.”

Today, a predetermined list of names is used for tropical storms for each ocean basin of the world. The United Nations’ World Meteorological Organization, representing 120 different countries, determines the list. In order to get on the list, hurricane names must meet two fundamental criteria:

  • Hurricane names must be short and readily understood when broadcast.
  • Hurricane names should be culturally sensitive and not convey unintended or inflammatory meaning.

It is for the first reason that the Greek alphabet is no longer used to name hurricanes.

Stay safe this hurricane season. Please contact us should you experience property damage resulting from a hurricane or other insured event. Public Adjusters is on your side. We will fight to get you what you rightly deserve.




Click to access the login or register cheese
Scroll to Top